Cannabis cultivation is an intricate art that requires careful attention to many factors in order to achieve optimal yields and high-quality buds. Even the most attentive growers can experience problems, however, and foxtailing is a common phenomenon that can impact...
cannabis pests & disease
Controlling pests when cultivating cannabis is critically important. An Integrated Pest Management (IPM) plan consists of various methods to reduce or prevent pest infestations or maintain populations at a level that is non-damaging. What You Will Learn In This Guide:...
If you notice tiny spots on your cannabis plant stems and leaves, you may feel like shouting â€œOh Barnacles!â€, like Spongebob Squarepants. And you would be right, these are nothing desirable and if left untreated could suck the life right out of your plant. You...
Growing a successful harvest of cannabis from seed requires careful planning and precision. Thereâ€™s a calculated process involved from the moment the cannabis seeds are selected to the time they start to flower. But what happens when something outside of the plan...
Identifying Cannabis Pests
The most common insects and mites that infect cannabis plants include:
- Aphids â€“ small insects typically the size between 1 to 10 mm and can be different colors such as yellow, green, or black. They like to live on the underside of the leaves and the stem. Aphids feed on the sap which causes a yellowing and defoliation of the leaves. Aphids can transmit viruses and they reproduce quickly.
- Whitefly â€“ a small yellowish-white insect about 2 mm, the whitefly is usually found on the underside of the leaves where they lay eggs and live larvae. They feed on the sap from leaves, weakening the leaves and causing spots. Whitefly can also carry viruses and cause fungi.
- Red Spider â€“ this is a type of mite that is more common to indoor crops and can have devastating effects causing death of your cannabis plants. Red spiders lodge on the underside of leaves, feed on the sap and can reproduce quickly. They leave yellow points on the leaves and can even leave webs around the buds in serious infestations. Red spiders reproduce quickly and is considered one of the worst types of cannabis pests.
- Trips â€“ these are a small-winged insects that lodge on the underside of leaves and inside the cannabis buds, feeding on the sap of the plant. They cause white and silver colored spots on leaves and can transmit viruses. Trips are one of the most common types of cannabis pests and mostly affect indoor crops.
- Ground fly â€“ these insects typically live in the substrate of indoor crops, feeding on root hairs and seriously damaging the root system. They can reproduce quickly in dark and humid environments and facilitate the appearance of fungi.
- Caterpillars â€“ these pests can infect outdoor crops, laying eggs and larvae on the plants and feeding on leaves and buds causing direct plant damage. They can leave the appearance of rotting and mold.
- Mites â€“ there are many types of mites including broad mites, russel mites and others. They are so small you typically need a magnifying glass to see them, although your plants will indicate a mite infestation with twisted, blistering, or glossy leaves. Plants will grow poorly and flowering buds can even turn brown.
These are some of the most common types of insect cannabis pests, other types of infestations include bud rot, root rot and mold. This leaves buds that are moldy or dead, and a plant with root rot can wilt and become discolored with roots that turn brown, are slimy and smelly.
Preventing Cannabis Pests
Preventing cannabis pests is most important for cultivators. Acting quickly is especially important to prevent irreversible damage. There are many different types of products to ward off insects, mold, and disease. When using products to fight against cannabis pests, remember to apply to the underside of leaves as many insects like to live there.
Mosca Seeds offers a wide selection of high quality cannabis seeds in varying types and strains. Choose from regular seeds, feminized and auto-flowering with your favorite strain in indica, sativa or hybrid blends. Remember to maintain healthy plants, inspect for damage and that prevention is key to ward off cannabis pests that can ruin your crop.
Come on In!
12 PM – 02 AM
+(000) 111 222 333
543 TN, doula street
NY, New York